Thursday 7 February 2013

We Can't Not Treat It

Yesterday, we saw Dr. M, my radiation oncologist. The first time we saw her, over a year ago, we were a little bowled over by her approach. Unlike most doctors we see, she took us on a journey through her thought process. She did the same thing yesterday, and I like it. I came out feeling like I understood exactly how and when I would be treated, why I would be treated and even what the risks of the treatment would be. Really, that shouldn't be too much to ask.

Having looked at the CT and X-rays as well as the orthopedist's report, Dr. M was clear that my hip needed to be treated. The problematic tumour is in the femoral neck, the thin part of the femur leading to the ball that fits into the hip joint. It is a vulnerable spot. I should get a call soon to go in for marking in the next 10 to 14 days. The marking (tattooing, actually) is done before the radiation to allow the beam to get the right spot each time. After that, I will get five sessions of radiation to the femoral neck as well as up towards the ball and down a bit into the femur. She informed me that after the radiation, the blood vessels in the area would dilate, which may put me at increased risk of fracture for a period of time. While this risk is known, there isn't sufficient research to determine how long the increased risk would last. Given my health (good compared to many cancer patients) and mobility, she estimated that within a month, my hip should be healed. We also talked about the possibility the orthopedist would recommend surgery, or a fracture would require surgery. She assured me that the radiation and resulting dilation would not have an impact on any subsequent surgery.

As you may know, typically with breast cancer, patients receive 20 to 30 sessions of radiation after surgery and chemo. Bone metastases are treated very differently. Dr. M does five to ten sessions on bone mets. As I understand it, they limit the number of sessions because the radiation can seriously affect patient's bone marrow.  This isn't an issue when the breast is being radiated.

I am preparing myself for two side effects from the radiation. First, I am likely to experience some increase in bone pain in the days after the radiation sessions. That shouldn't last long. I may also get a "sunburn" from the radiation. I still have a darkened, dry area on my back from the radiation I had on my spine. This morning I started applying Dream Cream from Lush to my hip. Perhaps if I keep the area moisturized, it won't burn.

In the meantime, I'm to continue to be careful of the ice. And no jumping off buildings, Dr. M said.  That's a shame. Tomorrow is Superhero Day at the Bean's school. I won't be able to join in.

No comments:

Post a Comment