Tuesday 4 September 2012

CIBC Run for the Cure, September 30, 2012 -- I'm Running for My Life

On Sunday, September 30, in Ottawa, I will be walking the five kilometre CIBC Run for the Cure with my loving husband and daughter.  Over the last several weeks, the Bean and I have been training, quickly working our way up to a 5k walk through our lovely neighbourhood.

At the Run for the Cure, we look forward to joining the St. Bernard Bosom Buddies Team.  This team, captained by Mrs. Rhonda Gillam of the Bean's school, has been the city's top elementary school fund raising team for six years running.

When I was so sick last fall and beginning chemotherapy, the St. Bernard School family gave us more support than I could have imagined.  They looked out for the Bean as she dealt with having such a sick mommy.  They prayed for us.  They filled out freezer with lovingly prepared food.  And they were there with the smiles and hugs whenever they saw us.  Joining the St. Bernard Bosom Buddies Team is a small way of giving back to our school family.

The CIBC Run for the Cure, which has runs going in cities across the country, is raising money for the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation.  In 2011, over $30 million was raised by the Run, with funds go to support "groundbreaking research, education, awareness and advocacy initiatives."   To learn more about the Foundation and its work, visit www.cbcf.org.

As you know, my breast cancer has already spread to my liver and bones.  At this point, metastasized breast cancer has no cure.  CIBC asks, "who are you running for?"  Well, I'm running for my life, for a cure for me and prevention of this disease hitting my little girl.

I am humbled by the generosity of friends and family who have already donated more than I expected.  But as of this afternoon, the St. Bernard Bosom Buddies Team is only a third of the way to it's goal.  Your online donations would also be most welcome to the St. Bernard Bosom Buddies Team at this link. You can donate directly to my run here, to my Sweetie here, or to the Bean here.

Thank you for your continuing support, and please consider participating in your local CIBC Run for the Cure.

No comments:

Post a Comment